The UPPAbaby Minu is a lightweight stroller with car seat compatibility. This design creates a versatile stroller that can work for travel and during baby's infant car seat days. The Minu is a good looking stroller with useful features that folds up small and is around 12 lbs without the car seat attached. When we tested it with the UPPAbaby Mesa, it proved to be easy to attach with adapters that connected swiftly and without trouble. If you plan to travel or commute in the future and want a good way to move your infant car seat carrier from place to place, then the Minu is one to consider.
UPPAbaby Minu Combo Review
Pros: Compact and lightweight, easy car seat attachment
Cons: Harder to push on uneven surfaces
Compare to Similar Products
Our Analysis and Test Results
Launched in the US, UPPAbaby has over ten years creating baby gear. This family-run company strives to create high quality, usable products that are useful and innovative but still stylish. They offer several strollers and a car seat.
The UPPAbaby Minu is a lightweight stroller that performs well in our tests for car seat combinations.
The details on the Minu's performance during testing are included below.
Ease of Attaching Car Seat
The Minu works well with infant car seats earning an 8 of 10 in our tests for ease of attachment.
The car seat adapters (above left) attach to the Minu where the toddler seat attaches (above right). They require no assembly and snap on quickly and easily. The Mesa clicks easily into place after aligning the two sides and it is even easier to remove the carrier. It isn't as stable feeling as we think a native brand car seat should be with its own brand stroller, but that is likely the top-heavy result of removing the toddler seat. We didn't experience any challenges related to thinking it was installed when it wasn't.
Weight and Folded Size
The Minu earns a 9 of 10 for weight and folded size in this gear category where being lightweight is important.
With a weight of 12.6 lbs and a folded size of 6,610 cubic inches, the Minu is one of the smallest and lightest options in the review that isn't a frame product.
The Minu has single front wheels that help it turn and move easier on most surfaces. This design helps it earn a 5 of 10 for maneuverability in a category where only jogging stroller earn higher than a 7.
The Minu is easier to push than other lightweight options from UPPAbaby and it allows for a longer stride with no concern for kicking the back. It struggles a little when you move to grass and gravel, but for a short distance, you'll be okay. If you need a stroller for gravel roads or extensive grass time, it probably isn't the best choice. However, for younger infants and travel, flat roads is where you want to be anyway.
Ease of Use
The Minu earned a 5 of 10 for ease of use in a category where none of the competition earned higher than a 7.
The Minu is somewhat unique with the ability to keep the canopy while ditching the weight of the toddler seat and the impressive weight capacity of the storage bin.
Fold and Unfold
The Minu folds in thirds to create a compact squat package that fits in many places an ordinary stroller won't. The fold is one handed it auto-locks, self-stands and comes with a carry handle. It is easy to fold and unfold.
The single action brakes on the Minu are color-coded and designed with dual pedals on the sides of the back wheels with a green pedal for setting and red for release.
The medium sized bin holds up to 20 lbs of supplies which is a lot for any stroller, but especially this group where the average is only 10 lbs. The bin fits our large diaper bag with access from all sides.
The sunshade of the Minu stays attached when you use the frame with a car seat. This allows for additional protection of your baby and a peek-a-boo window for spying on your little one.
Ease of Setup
The Minu takes about 4:30 minutes to assemble from out of the box to ready to roll.
It is easy to assemble and is accompanied by a quick start guide for the attachment of the wheels and canopy.
The Minu earns a 6 of 10 for quality with an ice overall look and attention to detail not found in all lightweight or umbrella-style strollers.
The Minu frame is sturdy despite its ability to fold in thirds. Overall, it has a minimalistic simple look and feel that is pleasing to the eye. The fabric fits the frame well and the canopy avoids looking frumpy and wrinkled like other UPPAbaby products. It sports all-wheel suspension and foam filled plastic wheels that are very dense. There is an adjustable handlebar with a leather cover that is nicely curved for comfortable pushing. The stroller comes with a sling style seat that is comfortable enough for longer trips.
Basic overview of the Minu and its features
Attachment of the Mesa infant car seat on the Minu
While the Minu can be easily be used as is, you will need to purchase adapters if you plan to pair it with an infant car seat. There are also some other accessories that can be useful to make everyday life a little bit easier.
- From Birth Kit — This kit includes a bassinet and attachments so your newborn can lay flat while you stroll.
- Mesa Adapters — This adapter set allows the UPPAbaby Mesa car seat to be used with the Minu. It is required to pair the two together and does not come with the stroller.
- MINU Adapter for Maxi-Cosi®, Nuna® & Cybex — This adapter set works for select car seats made by Maxi-Cois, Nuna, and Cybex. Before making this purchase it is best to check the UPPAbaby website for compatibility.
- Carry All Parent Organizer — This console is compatible with multiple UPPAbaby Strollers. It has several pockets including compartments for bottles, snacks and a zippered pocket.
- Minu Rain Shield — This rain shield is an economical answer to weather problems that can sneak up while on the move. It is designed for Minu and offers clear protection on all sides for rain protection with visibility.
The Minu is the only lightweight stroller in the UPPAbaby lineup that accepts infant car seats. However, we also included the full-size UPPAbaby strollers in this combo review.
- UPPAbaby Vista — The Vista is a double seat stroller that can work with up to two infant car seats and running board for a third passenger. It is a nice stroller that could be one of only a handful of options if you have twins or multiple children.
- UPPAbaby Cruz — The Cruz is a full-size stroller for one that is compatible with infant car seat carriers from UPPAbay, Maxi-Cosi, Cybex and Nuna. This stroller wins awards in most categories impressing testers for many reasons.
— Juliet Spurrier, MD and Wendy Schmitz